“Now I’ll worship you passionately and bring to you my sacrifice of praise, drenched with thanksgiving!”– Psalms 116:17 TPT
There’s something about worship music.
It feels like a release of peace, empowerment, encouragement. I can literally feel the Holy Spirit operating through worship music.
I’ve noticed its power and effect at some key moments:
- During my struggle with sexual sin, I felt the Holy Spirit prompt me to use worship music as my tool, my ammo especially before going to bed. Nowadays, my live music playlist can literally send me off to bed within 5 minutes. I wake up to the splendour of God’s glory and even find myself astounded at certain lyrics and songs which have become my favourites all due to this habit the Holy Spirit has encouraged me to imbibe.
- In December of last year, I endured a sickle cell crises. It was painful – partly because it came so unexpectedly (like I had literally been laughing a few minutes prior to when it happened) and mainly because it was so damn painful and wouldn’t go away even with my painkillers. But in that moment, all that could calm me and give me peace was worship music. I clutched onto the speakers like they were my lifeline and found solace in the lyrics to my favourite songs. It was my saving grace and I felt God there with me, I knew he heard my cries and I knew he would heal me and take away the pain. And he did, he always does. As I wrote this, I asked myself – “but why did I have to experience such pain?” “Why did God allow me to experience such pain?” I looked at my friends and asked them and they gave me such beautiful revelations which I’d like to share:
His love transcends our pain.
“For the sadness that is used by God brings a change of heart that leads to salvation–and there is no regret in that!”– 2 Corinthians 7:10 GNT
I’m noticing that pain creates a new heart posture in us. It forces us to seek for that higher power, to become wholly reliant on Him. He’s the source of life and strength and all we need. Pain has the innate ability to bring that awareness out of us.
3. A few days ago, I was going home from an outing with my sister. As we walked into London Euston, I heard a guitar strumming and soon enough a young male singer began singing a worship song so beautifully. I was astounded, I have never witnessed a Christian busker in my 8 years of living in London. I was so happy that our train’s platform was taking its time to show up because it meant we could just stand and worship with him. The next song he began to sing was ‘Tremble’ and I just felt so much peace. Imagine being in a public area like that – in a city that thrives upon being religiously ambiguous, and hearing Jesus being worshipped so boldly. My heart was warmed completely and I’m so blessed to have witnessed it.
“Now, with breathtaking wonder, let everyone worship Yahweh, this awe-inspiring Creator.”– Psalms 33:8 TPT
SOUND(S) OF JERICHO
I decided to do something different this time and choose some of my favourite worship songs which have been a continuous source of encouragement in my life. I pray you’re blessed as you listen:
- Tremble (Live) – Mosaic MSC
- In the Silence (Live) – Jason Upton
- Into the Deep (Live) – Citipointe Live
- Reckless Love – Israel Houghton
- Prayers of the Righteous – Israel & New Breed
- Everything to You (Spontaneous) – Bethel Music, Jenn Johnson
- So Will I (100 Billion X) – Hillsong Worship
- Dust – Steffany Gretzinger
- Thy Will – Hillary Sott & The Scott Family
- Mention of Your Name – Jenn Johnson, Brian Johnson
- Extravagant (Live) – Bethel Music, Steffany Gretzinger, Amanda Lindsey Cook
- King of My Heart – John Mark McMillan, Sarah McMillan
- Potter and Friend – Dante Bowe, Jesse Cline
- Real Love – Blanca
- Fighting for Me – Riley Clemmons
- Remember – Lauren Daigle
- You Say – Lauren Daigle
- Pour My Love On You (Spontaneous Live) – Rick Pino
- Strong God – Kirk Franklin
- Sovereign God – Maurette Brown Clark
- Loyal – Lauren Daigle
- In Awe of You – Becky Larry-Izamoje
Find the full playlist here: https://open.spotify.com/user/1161818703/playlist/6uMh141EfmDx7sWZTmkYkw?si=7z29SO0sSQ6zcYsZUSKkfA
Also! The Christian busker’s details are as follows: Instagram: @zac_carpenter_music | Twitter: @ZacCMusic | Go Fund Me: https://www.gofundme.com/f/ZacSoul61
Please donate as you feel led! He’s saving up to be able to complete the Soul survivor gap year course, Soul 61.
Peace & Love,